Saturday, March 12, 2011

Trompe l'Oeil painting class


I just figured out what I'll do for my Trompe l'Oeil painting class: The vase above, which I photographed outside the Vanderbilt mansion in Rhode Island. There's so much great detail going on within the vase itself that it's a perfect lesson in all the various forms of ornament, and grisaille painting. This photograph reminds me of the panel by De Lairesse which you've seen before on this blog. The balance of a large value range within the space of the vase, against the smaller value range of the rest of the niche is reminiscent of his trompe l'oeil masterpiece.


It could be combined with an Italianate landscape in the background as in the photograph below. Or maybe just painted as it is, in shades of grey.


I did something similar for the Kips Bay Show house in New York City in 2003, but I've always wanted to do a taller panel, with less stuff going on around the vase. I hadn't yet studied the De Lairesse piece and learned its lessons about value. Everything I painted in the panel below was treated with a similar range of values, and the result is a flattened painting with little sense of depth.

Kips Bay Show House mural, Alan Carroll 2003

10 comments:

  1. I love the choice you have made. It is a great vase and is dying to be done in grisaille. Can't wait to see the progression!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are rocking my world...and I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly amazing..... when's the class!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that vase and look forward to Part II. And only you would call your 2003 masterpiece "flat!" It's most inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please list your upcoming class on http://www.fauxcalendar.com

    It is free and we have some great trompe l'oeil classes listed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alan,
    I agree with Mark, that piece is certainly a masterpiece, and not flat.

    I'd love details on the class. Brooklyn? When?

    Debbie Viola

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is stunning so I am anxious to see this done. And yes please post your class info. Your classes are definitely on my "wish list" of things to do

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may even dare to take your class -- you'd be an amazing teacher. Please do keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made an excellent choice. The panel where you've incorporated the vase is simply amazing. Looking forward for more of your posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete