Monday, June 14, 2010

Maison Jansen



The apartment of Pierre Delbée, the President of Jansen, was home to five incredible inlaid doors. Made of ebony and ivory, each was a surrealistic take on an architectural theme and displayed the incredible artistry of the Jansen atelier. They took three artisans over twenty months to complete.

The original doors were sold at Christie's Monaco in 1999, so I was asked to replicate them. Unfortunately this project never got beyond the design stage. These images are from the book Jansen, published by Acanthus Press. I posted images of all five doors on my Flickr page.



Here is the drawing I did of a section of the door above, and a sample showing the ebony and ivory inlay, with silver areas (yet to be leafed) left light blue.

4 comments:

  1. Where do you come up with this stuff?????? This is just amazing. I am dying over the third shot- such a Neo-Classical wall...sigh...I love the pagoda ornamentation over each door....fabulous post Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on all of that Theresa, Alan is an amazing talent and wealth of knowledge!

    ReplyDelete