Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Micro Sculpture: Dalton Ghetti


I've had a fascination with Miniaturist Art for years. The Chester Beatty Library's collection of Arabian miniatures in Dublin, Ireland, is truly astonishing. I find myself annoying people by yelling random expletives out loud. Art brings out my Tourette's.

There is a beautiful drawing by Prud'hon that was practically a miniature in the recent Morgan Library exhibition in New York City [yeah I know, but I couldn't snag a photo]. Not ordinarily known for whipping out the magnifying glass, there's no doubt in my mind that Prud'hon just wanted to create that 'holy shit' factor. I totally get it. Small stuff blows my head off.

Willard Wigan comes immediately to mind [you have got to watch this video] as one of the most famous miniature carvers, but there's something I love about Dalton Ghetti's work. Maybe it's because we've all played with the medium in our lives. Who hasn't enjoyed whittling a pencil into a point sharp enough to skewer fly nuts?

From Dalton M. Ghetti's website blurb:

"When Dalton was 8 years old, [his mother] taught him how to use a sewing needle to help her with simple projects like hemming and sewing buttons. At the age of 9, his parents gave him a set of metal tools for children, which he used to make his own boxes, toys and go-carts. This is also the age when he began sculpting with knives, chisels and a hammer. Ever since, he has created many objects out of all kinds of materials.

At first, he carved large objects; but in 1986, as a challenge to himself and because of his interest in small living things, like plants (moss) and insects (spiders and ants), he decided to create the smallest possible carvings that he could see with his naked eyes. One day, he picked up a working pencil and started carving it.

His idea is to bring people’s attention to small things. Small is beautiful. Most of the pencils he uses are found on the streets and sidewalks. Dalton’s work is a recycling process. He turns discarded objects into art."
















6 comments:

  1. They amaze me too! The boot, hammer and key blow me away. I still like the carved crayolas too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they are astounding, I love his genius and creativity!

    I have a great giveaway ending tonight at midnight, so I hope you enter!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen these before but am glad to be reminded of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel a faint coming on. As a carver i can understand the steadyness of hand and the patience involved in one...but seeing so many blows me away.
    I can only imagine the pile of rejects.
    Does he carve inbetween heart beats?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly amazing! I love that he put writing on the saw blade ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete